Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Snow Skiing in March...who woulda thought?!

Chad & I drove 11 1/2 hours yesterday from Little Rock, AR to Blowing Rock, NC (lots of 'rocks' out there I guess). We came here because there is ONE ski slope that is still in use this time of year. Believe it or not, we went snow skiing today...in North Carolina of all places! Kinda crazy! :)

This was our first snow skiing experience together so it was super-fun! It was the weirdest thing. We drove up to the mountain, not seeing a flake of snow or any remnants of there ever being any snowfall the whole way up. Even pulling into the parking lot we were wondering if we had made the drive for no reason at all. Then, we turned around and there it was. It was crazy, but there was actually a snow-covered mountain with about 10 runs and 4 lifts still open. It was awesome.

I have only been snow skiing once before today. I was 15 and on a church ski trip my freshman year. That experience started out all peachy-keen, but on my last run down the mt., a kid got in my way and to miss him, I turned and heard my knee pop...then I went down and hit the snow. That knee injury is what ended my 12-year and counting soccer career. It was a sad, sad time. But, I hung in there and didn't let it take me out of my second love which was volleyball, so it was all good. Needless to say, snow skiing hasn't always been the most positive of topics, ha. But, I was totally ready to get back on the horse and try it again. That's how we got here and I'm so glad we came!

Based upon a suggestion by my best friend, Elya (who was there with me the first time when I got hurt and I realized how badly I sucked at skiing), I decided to try out the newest thing to ski on called Snow Blades. They are exactly what they sound like. Shorter skis in which you don't need any poles and you feel as though you are 'blading' instead of skiing. Well, it definitely still feels like you're skiing, but it was super-fun! Chad went with the usual ski and pole combo. It was his 7th or 8th time to go skiing, so he was a bit less reserved than me going down the hills. It was a great time! We even got a bit of sun on our very pale faces! haha.

Here are some pics:



The cutest little Italian Restaurant called Pssghetti's...it was delicioso! :)

No comments: